Dads, you matter! YPN is dedicated to empowering men in their role as a parent and the YPN Dads program offers a unique combination of information, skill-building, and support. We recognize that there is no one right way to parent and that not all techniques work for all parents. There are, however, more effective ways to parent, and YPN’s goal is to provide you with a range of tools and strategies to help you be the best dad that you can be.
What should families expect from the YPN fatherhood program?
- Weekly group meetings in a supportive, judgement-free environment
- An opportunity to meet and share with other dads
- Transportation to and from group, if needed
- On-site childcare
- Meal at each group
- All services at no cost to you
- Access to the We Care Shop – YPN’s incentive-based program that rewards families with points for healthy behaviors that can be exchanged for diapers, wipes, clothing, books, or baby products.
Father absence remains a challenging issue in our society, and restoring fatherhood is an integral part of the solution. YPN offers other organizations the opportunity to administer proven curriculum through partnership, providing skill-building resources for fathers and families. Programs include:
The “24/7” commitment that fatherhood requires can be overwhelming, and YPN has a unique program to provide the support that every dad needs. This evidence-based program focuses on enhancing fathers’ attitudes, knowledge, and skills — and is designed to equip fathers with the self-awareness, compassion, and sense of responsibility that every good parent needs.
Understanding Dad (for Moms)
In a strained co-parent relationship, a mother’s gatekeeping behavior can often prevent or reduce fathers’ access to their kids, when the father’s involvement would actually be beneficial to the children. The Understanding Dad program helps mothers better understand the importance of involving dad in their children’s lives, and how to better communicate with the father(s).
YPN offers support to community agencies that are interested in enhancing their services for fathers:
- Father friendly agency check-up
- Training support for staff
- Fatherhood resources for client families