Ready to Read
Children today are expected to enter school with many more skills than previous generations, including social, emotional, and communication skills, in addition to a basic knowledge of math and literacy. The YPN Ready to Read program works with families with children ages 0-5 years to build upon beginning literacy skills by offering parent and child reading activities. The core areas of focus include: print knowledge, vocabulary, phonological awareness, and narrative.
A Ready to Read activity typically follows this format:
- A shared meal between each family
- Four workshop stations, one for each area of literacy focus (Print, Vocabulary, Phonological, Narrative), for parents and their child
- Structured free reading or reading activity
- Evening ends with each family taking two books home to practice skills learned
- Parents will also have access to handouts and take home information regarding continued skill development